Friday, May 3, 2013

BWS KY DIVISION #2 PRACTICE April 30 and May 1, 2013

KY BWS PRACTICE DAY 1: The rain set in last week and the lake is four feet above pool and the flood gates are open. A pretty good ledge fishing friend of mine named Randy Haynes told me a few years ago that if the flood gates are open, theres a pile of giants somewhere choking themselves on 6XDs! For those of you that dont know Randy yet you will soon enough! Hes probably the best ledge fisherman on the planet and when he speaks, I listen! Coming off a good tournament the weekend before, I was pumped to get back on the water and I hit the lake Tuesday with a 5XD and a 6XD ready to rock. The last time the water got to this level I absolutely murdered them cranking and I headed straight to those places. The first stop I caught a 3lb largemouth and a 3lb smallmouth on my first two casts but that was it. When its right, therell be hundreds of fish on these places so I was a little discouraged. The next place I hit, I caught two 3lb smallmouth, a 4lb smallmouth and a 6lb largemouth. That was a little better, but still not the giant schools I was expecting to find. I cranked the rest of the day and never caught more than two off of a place and the size progressively got smaller.


KY BWS PRACTICE DAY 2: I headed out Wednesday intending on cranking the entire day in a different part of the lake. After four hours without a bite I couldnt stand it anymore and I pulled the All Pro 8 footer out and headed to the bushes. The flipping bite was off the chain and I caught so many 3 and 3.5lbers I couldnt count them but I just wasnt seeing the size I wanted to see. I changed locations and it was on! My best five in a 30 minute span were around 26lbs and I shook off at least 30 bites! The best part is these big fish are still full of eggs and thats all I needed to see, I made up my mind what Im going to do and where Im going to do it tomorrow!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment