Tuesday, July 16, 2013

CHURCH TOURNAMENT AND PRACTICE JULY 13, 2013 with the Legend, Ed Gettys



PRACTICE: Ive gotten to meet some awesome people over the years and have become good friends with several of them. When I first started fishing a couple of the first names I ever heard were Ed Gettys and Billy Leadbetter. Ed and Billy were legendary on Lake Guntersville and Ed had gone on to have a very successful draw tournament career with several Everstart, Bassmaster Open and BFL Regional wins to his credit. Ed and I became friends a few years ago and stay with each other when were at the others home lake but Id never had a chance to fish with him until this event. We practiced separately and by tournament day Ed had found about 20 schools he thought had potential to cough up a good fish or two and I had basically eliminated most of my schools for having big fish potential but I did find a new school that I caught a 7lber out of on Thursday. We decided to just head south out of KY Dam and fish everything we could get on that we thought had potential and just see what happened.


Tournament: We headed up the lake and the first three places we stopped on were loaded with bass. We would catch a few really quickly on a 6XD and a Bottom Dweller spinnerbait but then the school would just shut down. I could still see them on my Lowrance after we caught a few but they were just extremely tough to catch. To make a long story short we basically caught a couple off of every place we hit only to have them to shut down after that. We weighed in 17.64lbs and finished 15th out of 225 boats.


SUMMARY: I really enjoyed fishing with my buddy Ed and getting to see how an old school off shore fisherman operates. Ed was fishing ledges when he was 13 years old out of a Jon boat with a rope and a rock to find the drop offs! He has adapted well to the technical side of locating fish but he still uses a lot of his old tricks for lining up on schools and finding the little sweet spots on structure and it was really cool to spend a day in the boat with someone I have so much respect for.

No comments:

Post a Comment