Sunday, September 8, 2013

KY BWS #5 Day 2 Sept. 8, 2013

Tom had me a little nervous this morning being that close to me. This is his time of year and the big ones were in shallow water which is his specialty. I ran straight to where I caught my Sexy Dawg fish on yesterday and started well shy of my waypoint. I had no idea if these fish would bite that early in the morning but just as I went to pull my bait out of the water a 5lber almost took my rod out of my hand. The fish was so close to the boat I couldn't get any line out and she pulled off.  Normally losing a 5lber on my first cast would hurt but I turned to my co angler and said we're about to crush 'em! I made my way down the stretch and heard an explosion behind the boat. I looked back and my co had a giant on and it immediately went airborne and threw his bait. I fired a cast out in the same area and caught 4.5lber. A few casts later I caught another 4.5lber, then a 4.25lber. I was piecing together a pretty good stringer but I still had Tom in the back of my mind and I knew if I was catching 'em then so was he. I worked along the stretch and just as I was ready to swing around for another pass, a 6.5lber smoked my Sexy Dawg! That gave me four fish that weighed over 19lbs in the first hour of the morning! I made a few more passes without a bite and that's when I started thinking about that big one I'd lost. I was afraid I'd missed a huge opportunity. I had to get number 5 in the boat so I could relax and run my big fish pattern the rest of the day so I ran to the closest school I had and popped a 3lber in about 10 minutes. I headed back to the shallow water and finished up the day and only caught one more fish but it was a 4.5lber. I weighed in 22.95lbs today for a two day total of 50.85lbs and ended up winning the tournament by 11lbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment