Monday, January 30, 2012

A-RIGGIN J. Percy Priest with Dr. G

I had some sponsor business to tend to in Nashville today and while I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, having my memory refreshed on one of the reasons why I quit fishing the "city" lakes and moved to KY lake out in the country, I decided to make a few phone calls.  I hadn't talked to my good buddy Dr. David Gnewikow in a while so I gave him buzz.  He informed me that he was on his way to his office for a solid 2 hr work day and then he was headed to the lake.  We decided to meet up at noon and try our luck on one of the other reasons I moved to KY lake, J. Percy Preist.  Dr. G hadn't been on Priest since June and I havn't been on Priest since......weeeeell, sometime in 2007.  But hey, with the amazing, magical, myrical, it needs to be banned because we're gonna catch and/or kill all the fish Alabama rig in our hands, the Preist bass population didn't stand a chance!  After 3 hours of A rigging some of the best wintering holes on the lake and believe me, Dr. G knows the best, we had one bite on the A rig.  The one bite did happen to be a 4lb 14oz smallmouth which was enough to get me pretty fired up because I don't catch a ton of smallmouth and I never was much of a threat to any species on Priest!  It does go to show though, that as deadly of a technique the A rig has become, it still isn't guaranteed to put fish in the boat.  It was still an awesome day to be on the water and to get to catch up with the good Dr.  We did finally break down and go catch a few largemouth on the infamous #5 shad rap that Preist bass just can't seem to resist for some reason.  Now that I think about it, maybe we should've had our Arigs loaded with #5's! Oh well, maybe we'll give it a try in a few years when I venture back to Preist.

No comments:

Post a Comment