Saturday, April 7, 2012

Jet-A-Marine Tournament

Well, instead of running 75 miles on KY Lake, I took my Triton/Mercury on a 65 mile excursion south on Lake Barkley!  I have never fished Barkley with the water this low and even though I knew there wouldn't be a lot of cover in the water, I was still shocked to see there was NO cover in the water!  I have a few little sloughs that have big laydowns on the banks and I thought at least some of the limbs would have some water on them but I was mistaken. Once I ran around in Dover for an hour or so and couldn't find anything to fish, we headed back north towards the KY state line and managed to catch a couple of keepers on some deep creek banks but they weren't much to talk about.  At about 1pm I was scratching my head and Jeremy suggested we fish some river stuff.  Seemed like a good idea to me unfortunately I've never fished river stuff on Barkley and didn't really know where to begin.  We ran down the river and pulled up on a ledge at the mouth of a creek because it looked like as good a place as any to make some casts.  I fired a 3/4oz. Redeye Shad out and when I reeled it in it had not one, but TWO 3lb largmouth attached to it! It was apparent we'd picked a pretty good place and I proceeded to catch a 3lber on my next several casts.  Jeremy being the great guy he is, sit in the floor of my Triton and culled fish until the flurry had ended and by the time he got to fish, the school was exhausted!  I felt bad about it but I guess that's part of buddy tournaments.  We spent the rest of the day fishing similar stuff but never upgraded.  We weighed in 14lbs 13oz and finished 47th out of 300 plus boats and earned a very small check.  It was a fun day fishing with a good friend and when it was all said and done I was glad I signed up for it.  Congrats to my buddies Troy and Todd Hollowell on winning the tournament with 23lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment