Sunday, March 31, 2013

Fire Fighters Good Friday Open Barkley Lake March 29, 2013

BARKLEY OPEN PRACTICE AND TOURNAMENT: The Fire Fighters were having an open Good Friday tournament out of Bumpus Mills, TN and it guaranteed $1500 for first place. I normally wouldn't gamble on a long run in a small tournament but I know south Barkley fishes tough that early in the year and I didnt think anybody would be crazy enough to make the run to KY Lake so it seemed like a good idea to jump in this thing, make a 75 mile run, catch about 20lbs. or so and make 1500 bucks. The Jett-A-Marine tournament was also coming up and I was going to use Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as practice for that as well. I was pretty confident when I hit the water on Wednesday as my good buddy David Gnewikow and I had just caught a 26lb stringer the week before. I figured out pretty quickly the current was nonexistent and unfortunately thats what our entire pattern was based on the previous weekend. I spent two days Umbrella rigging and cranking my way from the Blood River area towards KY Dam and the only places I could catch any decent fish were on the places wed found the week before. It was a little further than I wanted to run but I still felt confident we could win the $1500 first place prize money so on Friday morning, my buddy Mike Hardin and I set sail for a 75 mile one way trip to the Blood River area from Bumpus Mills. We had smooth sailing all the way to the canal but once we hit KY Lake she was rolling and I immediately started dreading another 30 miles in those big waves. I shut down outside of Moors Resort on a place where David and I had caught some 3.5lbers the week before. After about 15 minutes there we had only caught one 2.5lber so I knew then we had to commit to the Blood River area. We finally reached our first stretch and after 30 minutes wed had one bite, a small keeper Mike caught on his rig. I headed to the next stretch that had been so good to us the previous week and when we got to the end we hadnt had a bite! I was feeling pretty bad that Id talked Mike into making this long run with me for nothing but I decided to fish a little further down the stretch and it was a good decision, I popped a 5lber and as soon as we dropped her in the live well we hit a school of 17" fish! We filled our limit with those and culled the two small ones and then it was over! We fished our way back to where wed started the morning outside of Moors and hadn't caught a fish since that group of 17”ers. With time running out, we were going to spend or last few minutes on this place at Moors and I just happened to start about 10 yards away from where we started that morning and wouldnt you know it, I caught two 4lbers on my first two casts! By the time we culled and got everything strapped down, we were out of time and had to head back. We ended up in 3rd place with 18.51lbs and made enough money to pay for our day. I did find out 2nd place also ran to KY Lake and they had a little over 19lbs and Im not sure where the winners caught there fish but they ran away with it weighing in 23+lbs.


SUMMARY: This was a fun little tournament. I love fishing on weekdays and I dont get to fish with Mike that often any more so over all it was a good day. The only thing I wouldve changed would have been to spend a little more time on that starting spot outside of Moors, if I couldve relocated that school that morning, I believe we couldve saved a lot of gas and milked them all day and probably weighed in more than we did by running all over the lake. Oh well, you live and learn. I did opt out of the Jett-A tournament the next day and it was probably a good thing because it took 18lbs just to get a check and I dont think I could've caught much more than that with what I was on.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment