Wednesday, October 2, 2013

BFL Regional Lake Guntersville Practice

The Lake had been off limits prior to practice but I had talked to my good friend and Guntersville legend Ed Gettys just before off limits. He told me the only thing I thought I needed to hear and that was that the swim jig bite was on in the deep Hydrilla which was the same pattern I used to finish 2nd in the 2010 BWS National Championship. I spent the first day of practice running old swim jig holes and at the end of the day I'd found that bites were hard to come by and the ones I got were in the creeks and not out on the main lake flats where I really like to fish. I was also catching a lot of yearling bass with the occasional 3 or 4lber mixed in which was not what I was looking for. In 2010 when I'd catch a 3 or 4lber it would have an entire school following it up and that wasn't happening this go round.

I spent day 2 flipping Hydrilla and milfoil and while I had a dozen bites or so, there was really no pattern to it and I didn't get to see what size fish I was dealing with because I didn't want to be seen by other fishermen.

I spent day 3 looking out deep and as usual in the fall on Lake G, I found the same 2 schools I find every year. They were right where they were supposed to be and I didn't set the hook on any of those either but I've fished them for so many years now I pretty much know what to expect size wise.

I'm not real sure what to expect going into day 1 because I've set the hook on so few fish in practice, but I'm pretty sure a decent limit each day will make the top 12 cut to Saturday and I feel like 17 or 18lbs a day will win. I feel pretty good about catching a limit each day but I think I'll need to luck up and get a couple of big bites each day to make a run at the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment