Sunday, April 21, 2013

LBL BFL #2 April 20, 2013

LBL BFL TOURNAMENT #2: We launched from Moors Resort and I headed South to the New Johnsonville area. When I got within site of the Paris Bridge there was a huge fog bank out on the main river. I will not run in the fog plus I had a pretty good idea the other tournaments launching at Paris had probably been held back due to fog so I could sneak a few casts in that area while the fog burnt off. I pulled into one of the pockets Id fished with my parents and wasnt too impressed with the water conditions. It looked like a whole different place with a foot of water gone from the bushes but I knew there had to be a few fish left lying around what shallow cover was still available. I spent about an hour picking the area apart and when I left I had one small keeper, a 3lber and I had lost one good fish in the 4lb range that got me hung up in a bush. I made my way to New Johnsonville where I knew there would be a little more cover in the water and hopefully I could scrounge up a few big ones to go with what I already had. I spent a good three hours pitching at every piece of cover I could find and I finally managed a 4lber and two very small keepers. I decided to run back north and try some different things in hopes of getting a big bite but I cranked a few points and scanned a few secondary ledges and never saw anything resembling a bass. I decided just to stay with the shallow deal even though I knew it wasnt the right thing to be doing. It was a slow go and I finally managed to cull a couple times before the end of the day and weighed in 15lbs. even and finished in 20th place.


SUMMARY: This happens to me every year on KY Lake. The water gets high and I know exactly where to go. I know where the biggest fish on the lake go when the water is in the bushes, but then it comes down and I can barely catch a limit! Ive struggled with this time of year every year since I started fishing KY Lake. Ive tried different things and talked to a lot of people that have success in April when the water isnt flooded but I just dont get it and may never get it. That being said, I cashed a check in this tournament and thats more than I can say for most falling water April tournaments Ive ever fished on KY Lake but I wish Id gone to Barkley!!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment