Saturday, June 16, 2012

LBL BFL #3 Practice and Tournament

I had intentions of putting in three hard days of practice for my 3rd LBL BFL of the year.  I hit the water on Wednesday and decided to spend the day looking for schools on more subtle places.  Apparently everyone that owns a bass boat knows how to ledge fish now days and most of the river ledge schools have been found and have been getting beaten on pretty badly.  Schools that I could catch 25 to 50 fish out of a few weeks ago won't sit still long enough now to catch more than 5 or 10 out of them and to get a quality bite is almost impossible.  The day started out good and I found 4 schools on places I've never seen them and a couple of schools on old places but the fish had just gotten there.  I had about 19lbs pretty quickly just catching enough to check the quality of fish in them.  Unfortunately at about 3pm I had some serious pain set in in a tooth that ended up being an abscess!  I got off the water and started on pain medicine and antibiotics and spent the rest of the week in bed.

I was hoping my meds would've kicked in by Saturday morning but that wasn't the case.  I headed to the Paris area from KY Dam Village in serious pain only to find a boat or two on all but one of the places I'd found on Wednesday.  I caught a limit off an old place and culled all of them on a new place but only had 16.5" fish.  I hit a few shallow bars with no luck and by 10am I was hurting so bad I didn't feel like running around checking stuff anymore.  I got on place and sit for a long time trying to get my co angler a limit.  He never got his 5th fish but he did have one pushing 4lbs which was almost twice the size of anything I had in the box.  I made a tooth jarring ride back and weighed in a little early so I could get back on my pain meds and rest.  I had 11lbs 9oz and finished 42nd. 

This definitely wasn't how I'd hoped to spend my June tournament.  I'd been looking forward to this one for a while.  Good news is I have an appointment to have my tooth problem taken care of next week and it can't get here soon enough!

I'm not sure what I need to do to find some fish nobody else is on.  I really thought I had some subtle places I'd have to myself going into this one but it seems everybody knows where all of the fish are.  You'd think on a 150,000 acres of water you could find a place nobody else has found but I only have one so far and a boat watched me catch one there today so I'm sure that place is history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment