Sunday, March 25, 2012

MUSIC CITY BFL KY LAKE TOURNAMENT

I headed south to one of the humps I’d caught a couple 3lbers on in practice and started dredging it with a Series 5. I caught a fish off of both ends of the hump just like in practice but instead of 3lbers they were just small keepers. I cranked a couple other humps and fished all of the places I fished the last weekend and didn’t get a single bite. I finally went into a creek to flip some stake beds and I didn’t even get bit doing that. As I was trolling from one bed to another I almost trolled right into a stump in about a foot of water. I dropped a Strike King tube down on the stump and caught a 2.5lber. I finally figured out that the stake beds were in 2ft of water which apparently was too deep! I got on the inside of the beds and dropped my Power Poles. I caught a 2.5lber off of every little dark spot I could see on the bottom. It was amazing how shallow the fish were and that I couldn’t actually see the fish. After I cleaned that area out I made a run to the east side of the lake to a marina with clear water to look for some spawners. I saw several fish on beds in the marina but the water was so clear they were super spooky. I went to the back of the creek and started flipping the dark spots and it was just like the other creek. Every dark spot in a foot or less of water had a 2.5lber on it. I cleaned those out and headed back to the creek where I’d started hoping that maybe I could catch some females on the dark spots once I’d taken the males away but it never happened. I caught about 30 keepers on the day and never had one much over 2.5lbs. I weighed in 11lbs 11oz. and finished 34th.

 It's been a frustrating crazy March! When I saw the schedule for this year I was foaming at the mouth because March has been so good to me and I cashed one check out of three tries. That just goes to show you never know what to expect in this game from year to year or day to day for that matter. I’ve never seen stable 65 degree water in March until this year and I can tell you one thing, I don't like it! I’ll take the more normal mid 40 water temps any day over this. On the bright side, I would like to see the Hydrilla come back and the low water, sunny skies and warm weather shouldn’t do anything but help that cause. Now maybe if I can survive April, things will start looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment