Thursday, June 13, 2013

EVERSTART DAY 1, June 13, 2013



I headed south out of Kenlake Marina hoping my first school would be open and still have some good ones swimming around. When I arrived I had it all to myself and I started cranking a 6XD down the ledge. My co angler caught a small keeper on a swimbait and then I hooked up with a small keeper. My next cast my rod loaded up and I called for the net. A 4lber cleared the water and when I got her almost to the boat she jumped again and threw my 6XD. That was the last good fish I saw there. I spent another hour rotating through different baits and when I left I had about 12lbs. I stopped by a community hole that was open on the way to my next school and culled a small keeper with a 3lber but I didnt fish there very long. I headed to my other good school Id found with my parents over a week ago seriously needing them to still be there. I pulled up to my waypoint and fished around for about twenty minutes and never had a sniff. I fired up my Mercury and idled around trying to locate them on my Lowrance but they were nowhere to be found. I knew I needed at least 4lb class fish to stay in contention so I decided to abandon the ledge fish and hit every shallow bar I could think of where Ive ever caught a big one. The first bar I fished produced a fish pushing 4lbs and gave me a little bit of hope I was doing the right thing. After my next few stops I hadnt gotten any bites so I headed to the hydrilla. I swam a big Shadalicious around the grass and pretty quickly ran into a school of fish. I caught at least thirty in a row and culled a couple of times but none were over 3lbs. By that time the wind had shifted out of the north at 25mph and with the current running through the lake at 100,000 cfs, the waves were getting huge. By the time I made it back to the Paris area I had just enough time to fish the bar where Id caught my biggest fish of the day. Just before I had to head back I popped a 3.5lber on a Strike King Thumper worm and culled my last 2lber. After a slow rough ride back to Kenlake I weighed in 16lbs 6oz and Im sitting in 28th place. Some guy named David Gnewikow had over 25lbs and is 1oz out of the lead after day 1!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment