Monday, May 14, 2012

FISHIN WITH THE PARENTS DAY 1

I was fortunate enough to get to spend the day on the water with my parents.  They love to fish and taught me to love to fish when I was two years old.  Unfortunately, we don't get to fish together nearly as much as we should.  When they get a chance to go i'm usually practicing for a tournament and as soon as we catch a good one or two, I'll pull us off of the place. I called my mom during Everstart practice last week and told her they had to get up here after the tournament because I knew during the week with the current running and no fishing pressure we could catch no telling how many fish.

They showed up at 3pm today and we hit the lake.  The first school I drove over were picture perfect on my Humminbird and I dropped a buoy out to give them a target. My mom has never thrown a Sexy Spoon and was reluctant to try it. I assured her, it was simple and I made a cast towards the buoy.  I explained to her to make sure it hit bottom, which it did. Then I told her to just lift it up quickly, which I did. Then I showed her how I follow the bait back to the bottom with the rod tip and then....I set the hook and let her reel in a 3.5lber. I handed my dad a spoon and I grabbed a 6XD and it was on.  For the next 30 minutes we caught doubles and triples and I was running around lipping, unhooking, weighing and photographing fish like a chicken with it's head cut off!  It was awesome! When we exhausted that school we had caught about 50 fish and our best five weighed 19lbs.  The only negative thing about the hole deal is I struggled mightily to get 4lb bites in the everstart and we had two over 4lbs and one over 5lbs on our first stop.

We hit three more schools today and caught 20 to 30 fish out of each of them and most of them were chunky little 3lbers but we did get another 4lber or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment