Friday, May 11, 2012

KY LAKE EVERSTART DAY 2

UGGGGH! FRUSTRATING DAY!  I had forgotten how cut throat this sport was until about 8:00 this morning.  I stopped on my starting place where I caught 14lbs on 5 cast yesterday and I caught 14.5lbs there this morning in about 10 casts.  The difference was yesterday I had all 17"ers there, today I had two 16"ers, two 17"ers and a 5lber!  Don't think I wasn't feeling good about things knowing I had all day to build on that 5lber. That's when I started running my same rotation as yesterday and every place I stopped had boats on it that were in the vicinity yesterday while I was catching fish!  Even the topwater place, where nobody in there right mind would fish, had six boats Power Poled down on it.  I hate to sound like one of those guys that's crying about people steeling their holes but this was blatantly obvious.  I only fished five schools yesterday and they were all north of Paris.  I decided to run south of Paris and check some places and the fish weren't on the few I got to check.  Most of those places had guys practicing for the big open tournament out of Paris tomorrow on them.  I ran back north and a couple of my places had opened up but the fish were spread out and suspended because they'd been fished and the ones I caught were just small keepers.  I ran back by my topwater spot and only one guy was left but he was netting a fish and hi fiving his co angler when I pulled up!  All I could think about was that he probably caught that toad I'd seen following my bait yesterday.  I ran to my starting place hoping that I could at least get some of those 17"ers to bite but only short fish were there in the afternoon.  I finished the day on one of my shallow places where I'd caught about six 3lbers yesterday that wouldn't help.  I only got two bites there today but one of them was the one I was looking for.  With 20 minutes left in the day I hooked one on a jig on the end of a long cast.  She jumped waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there and I knew it was a pretty good fish.  I got it a little closer to the boat and she jumped again and I knew it was at least a 4lber.  Then I got her almost to the net and she jumped again and I knew it was at least a 5lber.....and then my jig popped out of her mouth!

I weighed in the first five fish I caught this morning for 14lbs 8oz and finished 13th.  I missed the cut by less than 2lbs which I could've made up with that big one I lost at the end of the day.  Oh well, I know I wasn't on the winning fish, but I sure wish I was fishing tomorrow!

Good luck to all of my buddies that are in the top 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment