Saturday, May 5, 2012

KY WEST BWS #2 BARKLEY LAKE

Wow, I had a brutal day today.  I started on a bank about 15 miles south of Barkley State Park that's usually got some fish on it.  I flipped up a small keeper and lost a 3lber on a Strike King Rodent.  I left there and headed south with intentions of hitting my deep river fish on my way to the slough I've been flipping the past few weeks.  All five schools had a boat sitting on them so I kept on running south. I made it to my slough and picked it apart with a rodent and when the dust settled, I had two more small keepers and another lost 3lber.  I headed back north a little early so I could hit my schools if they were open but only one of them was.  I scanned over the ledge and the bass were thick in 28ft of water.  I couldn't get my crankbait to them but I did catch about a dozen keepers on a football jig.  When I left that school I had a limit of 2lbers and never upgraded the rest of the day.  I wieghed in 9.63lbs after an 8oz dead fish penalty which occured while I was standing in the bag line for an hour after I'd trailered my boat.  I finished a very disappointing 33rd place out of 79 boats.

I was really hoping to make a run at the points championship in this division and I was in 6th place coming in to this tournament but I probably blew my chance at that.  I narrowly won the points in 2010 and never finished worse than 10th.  So it will take a miracle to win it now.  I thought that I could possibly actually get to fish a few of my schools in this one since we launched so far north but apparently there are open tournaments out of Dover every weekend now.  Back in the day me and my buddies struggled to find any tournaments to fish on south Barkley and now it seems like they have two or three a day! 

Oh well, sometimes you just don't get it done and this was one of those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment