Thursday, May 10, 2012

KY LAKE EVERSTART DAY 1

I have never in my life caught so many fish and not had a big one! I caught no less than 100 keepers today and weighed in 16lbs 1oz.  And to let you know how much time I spent in the floor of my Triton with the balance beam out, I had 14lbs in 5 casts on my first stop this morning!  My hands are a bloody pulp from unhooking and handling fish all day, but it was a blast.  The good news is, I figured with 16lbs I'd be somewhere in the 30's but I'm actually in 14th place only 4oz out of the top 10 cut. 

My plan almost worked to perfection but my shallow ledge fish moved even shallower and I didn't figure it out until about noon.  I was fishing a ledge sitting in 10ft casting a jig about a mile up onto the bar when I noticed a big shad fly out of the water another 50 yards past the end of my cast.  I dug a Strike King Sexy Dawg out of my rod locker and headed that direction.  When I made it up there I began fan casting around and a 2.5lber crushed my Sexy Dawg! As I reeled it to the boat I noticed about 25 more bass swarming it.  Most of these fish were 2.5 to 3lbers but right in the middle of the pack was a sure 'nuff GIANT swimming with them.  I stopped reeling hoping that another fish would get on the other end of my Dawg and the little one I had hooked jumped and threw my Dawg!  When my bait hit the water, that 7lber along with the rest of the pack made a bee line for it.  I just knew that big one was gonna smoke it and that's when out of no where, a 14"er zipped in, grabbed my bait and took it out of the school!  It was a heartbreaker for sure but at the same time I couldn't help but laugh when that little dude flew in there amongst those bigger fish and stole their meal!  I dropped my Power Poles and caught 8 fish between 2.5 and 3lbs on top but never got the big one.....She will definitely get a look tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment